Today, I wanted to finish something what looked like easy task from beginning.
To bing IPv6 connectivity to my home using tunnel from Sixxs. As I have
an OpenWRT, I expected it should not be harder than setting up same thing
on my Debian notebook.
There exists several howtos on the net, we can take the one on Sixxs wiki
as a good starting point. Just follow the instructions and you should get it
working right? Unfortunately not. Aiccu connects, IPv6 addresses are assigned,
subnet is correctly distributed over network using radvd, but IPv6
connectivity does not work.
Going deeper into this issue, I found out that some packets go out, but
nothing comes back. When comparing results with Aiccu set up on my Debian
notebook, I noticed that packets from OpenWRT router are few bytes larger, but
I didn't though it could be a reason. Unfortunately it was -- OpenWRT contains
wrongly compiled Aiccu, which does not strip ethernet headers from outgoing
packets and gateway then throws them out.
This is a well known bug, but unfortunately nobody fixed it for White
Russian. Anyway I'm not going to reinstall whole system to Kamikaze just to
make the thing work, so I compiled the Aiccu package on my own and now the
tunnel works fine. If you are interested, you can get the package here.