Michal Čihař - Troubles forming new API

Troubles forming new API

I just came to another decision point. Curently new Gammu API is quite in good shape (even most of functions are documented), but I think whether it's time to push in also some other big changes, which I would like to see, or just wait for things to settle down before starting other major changes.

For application developers (using C API, Python ones won't notice any of those changes), it would be definitely better to do all changes in one big bang. However I'm really affraid of possible impacts on stability, because extreme big changes. I'm still more and more convinced about stabilizing current code and keep those big changes for later time.

When talking about this, I should also mentions change I want to introduce :-). First is switch to wchar_t instead of own UCS-2-BE encoding. This will help a lot in possible errors on allocating memory for strings and also allow us to use libc functions for string operations. The second change is even bigger - make all storages scalable to avoid problems with hardcoded limits. But for this change it should be possible to add compatibility API functions, so that users don't have to notice anything.

New Comment

You can not add new comments to old blog posts.