After (again) searching for some good photo album generator, I'm more and more inclined to writing yet another tool to do this. Maybe I just want too much from this, but I haven't found solution that would fit my needs:
- Generate static HTML (or XHTML).
- Design should be done using CSS.
- Ability to process whole tree of photos into single album with directory based sub albums.
- Generate data only for changed/new photos (timestamp checking).
- Support for including EXIF information in results.
- Clean and nicely looking default template.
- Support for image comments from EXIF, JPEG comment field and external file.
- Automatic generating of images suitable for web browsing as well as including links to full sized images from camera.
- Somehow active development. I fear of using code which has not been updated for 3 years.
- It should be fast. This excludes anything written in bash as spawning tons of external programs can not be fast.
- Written in some language I know. I'm pretty sure I will hit some bug and I would like to be able to fix it. In fact only suitable language for me seems to be Python.
- Command line interface is a must.
So far I'm using a bit customised Matew which really does not fulfil everything, but at least works reasonably good (but extremely slow). However the more and more pictures are in my album, the slower this beast seems to be, so it's probably time to switch to something new. So far I haven't found anything that would actually fit, but PyAC seems to be usable as starting point for my new project for generating albums. Or is there a working solution?