If you don't know Enca, it is an Extremely Naive Charset Analyser. It detects character set and encoding of text files and can also convert them to other encodings using either a built-in converter or external libraries and tools like libiconv, librecode, or cstocs.
Full list of changes for 1.17 release:
- Fixed conversion of GB2312 encoding with iconv
- Fixed iconv conversion on OSX
- Documentation improvements
- Fixed execution of external converters with ACLs
- Improved test coverage to 80%
Still enca is in maintenance mode only and I have no intentions to write new features. However there is no limitation to other contributors :-).
You can download from http://cihar.com/software/enca/.