Meanwhile also Gammu Phone Database got some improvements, but you should not notice anything there (besides added BenQ manufacturer).
I finally managed to convert Gammu to use standard gettext for localisation. It was quite nice play with regular expressions, but I had to do only few manual edits afterwards.
Now the second part remains - converting of current translations to po files. Anybody has experiences with this?
As soon as conversion is done, you will be able to translate Gammu online at http://l10n.cihar.com.
Yesterday I decided to register wammu.eu domain for Wammu. One of reasons was that almost all other wammu.* variants are already taken by speculants and this name sounds good enough. The other reason is to give Wammu better accessible website. The old URL was not bad, but domain name sounds better :-). Also separate domain will allow later to have different CMS and/or design of Wammu pages, what is something I'd like to see, but don't have skills for that.
So please use http://wammu.eu for linking to Wammu. The old URLs are redirected to new location and they will stay redirected for long.
If there are any problems on new website, please notify me.
After half year (well almost), I passed through all pitfalls of new maintainer process and I became Debian Developer. From all rumours I heard before starting this process, I thought it will take longer.
In fact only lengthy part was three months waiting for my account being created, but I expected it because of many people were busy when preparing stable release.
Thanks to everybody who helped me going through this process.
Maybe it's time to write down what I plan in Gammu in future. Please note that this is not short-term plan (it is unlikely that something of this will be in next stable release), it is just list of thinks I'd like to have in future.
- API improvements - Current ABI which changes whenever there is change in internal structure sucks. The current code will get wrappers Gammu_DoSomething(statemachine, params), which will allow to have ABI compatible as long as the function exists.
- Unicode storage - There were good reasons in past not to use wchar_t but I thing all them have gone. Switching to wchar_t would allow Gammu to easily communicate with rest of the world and Gammu won't have to contain duplicates of many functions from standard libc.
- Localisation - Gettext is much more flexible than current localisation system and well known format gives translators ability to use many tools.
- Drop autotools support - CMake build system looks much cleaner than anything I was able to achieve with autotools. Right now it still requires some stabilisation, but it is anyway equal replacement.
- Version control - I'd like to switch to Subversion, which is widely used and widely known. However I have not yet found way how to import my current revisions in Bazaar to Subversion, any conversion I tried so far crashed.
Anybody interested in these steps? Don't hesitate to tell me or write to gammu-users mailing list.
In time when I was working on Wammu 0.18, I realized, that making release not very often is bad thing. You usually get same reports over the development period and telling people that you have fixed it, but not yet in any released version, doesn't make them happy.
As you can see from past weeks, I switched to making releases as often as possible. I will try to add new features quickly after release and then give the code some time for stabilisation (well, this would need a bit more testers than I currently have). I'd like to avoid delay longer than month between releases, if there is something to release (I doubt there will be any major changes in python-gammu in near future).
This time the release is quickly after previous one and I hope it will be better quality than previous one (especially for Windows users). Wammu 0.19 has been just released, list of changes is:
- Improved SMS recipient list handling.
- Can save and load SMS recipient list.
- Fix crash on Windows when username contains non-ascii chars.
- Fix Windows binary crashes.
- Support for sending file to phone.
- Support for task bar icon (thanks to Rene Peters).
- Fixed debug log on Windows.
- Fixed error handler on Windows.
- Fixed encoding of name for Nokia phones.
- Fixed connecting to PostgreSQL with empty password.
- Fixed infinite loop in --monitor (bug #75).
- Fixed behaviour on Bluetooth disconnect.
- Fixed handling of files with special chars on OBEX.
- OBEX driver correctly detects models.
- Native OBEX connections (blueobex and irdaobex) should work also with unknown models.
- Simplified searching of channels using Bluez stack.
- RF searching now better detects OBEX channels.
- Fix format strnings for 64-bit architectures (bug #77).
- Cleanup documentation structure.
- Moved locales out of documentation.
- Fixes locales and documentaion install in CMake (bug #76).
- Fixed retrieving messages with some phones who index them from zero like CG79 (bug #20).
- Ignore error when there is too much members in group in phone (bug #3).
- Compilation fixes for OpenBSD with libutf8 (bug #10).
- Handle another error while reading 6510 phonebook (bug #49).
- Fix international number handling in vCard (bug #71).
Today I decided to go through open Gammu bugs and try to fix some of them. There were trying many trivial bugs, which I'm now fixing, the harder ones will there stay for some other time or other volunteer (feel free to take some!).
There are still some issues remaining, but I will go through rest today and tomorrow and make testing release after that. So far ChangeLog length looks quite impressive :-).
Anyway if there is something else you miss in Wammu, don't afraid to ask for it, there is always a chance, that somebody will implement it.