Michal Čihař - Blog Archives for Debian

Debug packages for Gammu

As I have problem on getting useful reports from Gammu/Wammu crashes, I realised that having debug package for Gammu is good idea. However looking into official documentation didn't reveal how to achieve this. The wiki seems also miss information about this. Well then it must be something obvious. Fortunately I'm not only one who didn't find it on first attempt and dinosaur already wrote about this.

However I still wonder why this didn't get to some official documentation. For now I wrote down this to wiki, so it is easier to find for anybody else.

How could I ever work without *-buildpackage?

I was always a bit afraid to try those complex tools, but now with switch to subversion, I decided to give it a try. And it payed off. Now package management is much easier and everything is recorded in VCS. Yes I could do it with previously used bazaar too, but VCS migration was the latest impulse which made me try it. Now I can only thank to people who invented these tools.

New subversion repositories

I finally managed to migrate some things to Subversion from Bazaar. This does not yet include Gammu related things (Gammu, python-gammu and Wammu), because they are more tricky to migrate.

However all Debian packaging now can be handled using svn-buildpackage, which makes things a bit easier. Also smaller projects like Ukolovnik, polld and dictionary converter have been migrated.

You can see list of repositories at http://svn.cihar.com/, where is also link to web based browser.

Please note that repositories might change in future, because everything is not yet completely settled down.

Hiding configuration

I know that GNOME is trying to hide as much configuration as possible, but Epiphany today suprised me. I started to use is as default browser some time ago, but now I needed to print something for first time. Everything in my system is configured to use A4 paper, so I didn't expect any problem with this configuration.

Unforutanety Epiphany has separate configuration under separate menu item. I don't know why it is separated from print dialog, maybe to confuse users. Also I have no idea why it has default size Letter. Anyway you can set paper size under Print Setup...

This is really great step for usability.

Switched to Epiphany

Today I got finally enough fed up with Firefox^WIceweasel and started to look for alternative. Konqueror might be a solution, but I don't use anything from KDE, so it would be paintful. So only browsers which remained were Gecko based. Not that big improvement, but at least I will get rid of some stupid ideas which were implemented when Firefox 2.0 came out.

As first I tried Gnome default browser - Epiphany. I already thought about using it several times, but I was never able to customize it to my needs. But now I have all needed functions after installing few plugins and bookmarklets. I especially like Python plugins, this way it is quite easy to write/change a bit some plugin, which does what you need.

The only thing I currently miss is some bookmark synchronisation, because I use browser on several computers. But I will hopefully find something soon.

I'm the Debian Developer!

After half year (well almost), I passed through all pitfalls of new maintainer process and I became Debian Developer. From all rumours I heard before starting this process, I thought it will take longer.

In fact only lengthy part was three months waiting for my account being created, but I expected it because of many people were busy when preparing stable release.

Thanks to everybody who helped me going through this process.

xfs troubles

On my testing computer lived till today quite outdated Debian Unstable. As I needed to perform some testing with that which required recent version of some tools, I bravely did upgrade using aptitude.

After two hours of downloading, packages started to install, but it crashed while installing linux-kernel-headers. Well as I didn't know in what shape my last tests kept Debian and XFS filesystem it uses for root, I rebooted using live CD and ran xfs_repair.

It found several errors, I rebooted and reran aptitude. To my suprise the problem did not went away, and after another boot using live CD, I saw that xfs_repair still sees those problems.

Fortunately I noticed that live CD contains quite old xfs_repair and I used the one which is currently in unstable. And it seems to finally fix my problem! Now I can finally start my upgrade and it works :-).

Sonata 1.0 for Debian

I finally forced myself to prepare packages of new Sonata release. I hoped I will be able to upload them myself, but NM process will probably need some more time, so I just sent request for sponsoring to Daniel, who kidly uploaded previous version.

You will probably miss some of new Sonata features in Debian, because some Python modules which are needed for it are not available. Maybe somebody will package them, if not, I will do it on my own sometimes :-).