Michal Čihař - Blog Archives for phpMyAdmin

Weekly phpMyAdmin contributions 2017-W32

I've spent last week on DebConf, where main motivation to come was to meet with other phpMyAdmin team members. Besides that we've met with Marc, former phpMyAdmin lead.

On the coding side, it was pretty much just reviewing pull requests and some minor fixes.

Handled issues:

Weekly phpMyAdmin contributions 2017-W31

This week was quite productive in terms of bug fixes and various code improvements. One of most visible things is probably PHP 7.2 compatibility, but there were other fixes as well.

I've somehow failed to post this report on time, so sorry for late publishing.

Handled issues:

Changes to Docker container for Weblate

I've made several changes to the Weblate Docker container which are worth mentioning today.

First of all if you are still using nijel/weblate, you should switch to weblate/weblate. They both currently share same configuration, but it might happen that some future updates will go to the weblate owned container only.

Now back to the container changes. Since beginning we were using Django built in server. That's fine for development purposes, but it really doesn't work that well in production as it can handle only one request at time. Therefore we've switched to more robust approach using nginx + uwsgi + supervisor.

Thanks to this, the docker-compose no longer needs separate nginx server as everything is now sanely handled within the weblate container itself.

Going to DebConf17

After fours years, I will again make it to DebConf, I'm looking forward to meet many great people, so if you want to meet and happen to be in Montreal next week come and say hello to me :-).

It seems I've settled down on four year schedule - I've attended DebConf09 and DebConf13 so far. Let's see if next one will come in 2021 or earlier.

Weekly phpMyAdmin contributions 2017-W29

Last week was really focused on fixing issues on phpMyAdmin itself. Some of them also lead to me to bigger cleanups, for example in theme management code, which is now not relying on session cache.

Another important improvements were focused on improving SSL support in phpMyAdmin. It is now able to automatically detect if server enforces SSL and enable it in such case. There is also improved documentation about configuring SSL.

Handled issues:

Weekly phpMyAdmin contributions 2017-W28

Last week was quite busy and that can be seen from number of issues. Some of them are coming from our error reporting server, where I've focused on the most frequently happening ones for last releases. Still there is about 30000 reports to handle there.

There were several fixes to our SQL parser as well, apparently it's already being used by some other tools, for example by php-sqllint, so we're getting more bug reports :-).

Handled issues:

Weekly phpMyAdmin contributions 2017-W26

Last week was really about solving bug and pull request. I've managed to go through many of long pending pull requests and most of them were merged either directly or with additional fixes.

I always feel bad when it takes too long to merge pull request, but most of them were actually waiting for some fixes which didn't arrive and I had to fix them on my own. This is often what happens to GSoC students pull requests once they realize they were not accepted in the end...

Handled issues:

Weekly phpMyAdmin contributions 2017-W25

Last week was a bit less intensive for me, still there were some bugs fixed.

Most of the time was spent on investigating one report from error reporting server. These errors do not come from our code, but we see them in thousands, so apparently something widely spread. The feature seems to come from DirectAdmin, but I've found occurrences elsewhere as well.

I think this exactly shows why you should upstream your patches - it would get proper upstream review and you would not have to maintain it over years (apparently they have five versions of the patch in their patches directory).

Anyway pretty much same will be possible to achieve with single line of configuration in the 4.8.0 release.

Handled issues:

Weekly phpMyAdmin contributions 2017-W24

Besides usual bug screening and pull requests merging, I've spent quite some amount in digging reports in our error reporting server and fixed the most visible ones.

The error reporting server collects errors happening in phpMyAdmin installations worldwide (this is opt-in reporting) and gives us insights where our users suffer most. Some of the errors are really weird and probably indicate PHP bug, but as we don't collect more information than is necessary, we really can not say for sure and we can not find person to reproduce the bug. Anyway if something has happened hundredth times on several installations, it's probably worth fixing in our code base.

Handled issues: