Michal Čihař - Blog Archives for English

stardicter 0.10

Stardicter 0.10, the set of scripts to convert some freely available dictionaries to StarDict format, has been released today. There are mostly minor changes and it's time to push them out in official release.

There is one change worth mentioning though - the original site for English - Czech dictionary (http://slovnik.zcu.cz/) has stopped to work and has been moved to https://www.svobodneslovniky.cz/. Hopefully this new location will live at least as long as the original one and will bring back new contributors (honestly the original dictionary gained mostly spam entries in last months). The dictionary data are now hosted in Git repository on GitHub.

Weekly phpMyAdmin contributions 2016-W40

Last week was pretty short for me, only two days at computer, so amount of work done is limited as well. I've fixed few minor issues and reviewed pull requests. There was some security work as well, but that's something you will see in the future.

Handled issues:

Weekly phpMyAdmin contributions 2016-W39

Last week was quite similar to previous weeks - most time has been spent on reviewing pull requests, improving documentation and improving Docker container.

On the Docker container, I've enabled open_basedir restrictions, so the attack surface is a bit lower. However there are still lot of hardening suggestions open in the issue tracker.

Handled issues:

Weekly phpMyAdmin contributions 2016-W38

Last week was again mostly spent on reviewing pull requests and screening issues. This little housecleaning work is sometimes surprisingly time consuming :-).

Besides that I've again reviewed potential security weaknesses in our process reported by Emanuel Bronshtein. This lead to various hardenings in our Docker container, Debian packages or our website. There are still places to improve, but we're getting better with every commit.

Additionally there was release for motranslator and SQL parser, both of these are now properly listed on GitHub releases page.

Handled issues:

wlc 0.6

wlc 0.6, a command line utility for Weblate, has been just released. There have been some minor fixes, but the most important news is that Windows and OS X are now supported platforms as well.

Full list of changes:

  • Fixed error when invoked without command.
  • Tested on Windows and OS X (in addition to Linux).

wlc is built on API introduced in Weblate 2.6 and still being in development. Several commands from wlc will not work properly if executed against Weblate 2.6, first fully supported version is 2.7 (it is now running on both demo and hosting servers). You can usage examples in the wlc documentation.

Weekly phpMyAdmin contributions 2016-W37

Last week was heavily focused on reviewing incoming code, mostly on our SQL parser. Thanks to several contributions we have made it even better.

The SQL parser s releases now include list of changes, so you can easily see what has been changed. While touching the SQL parser code, I've added some missing bits in testsuite code coverage and we're now really close to 100%.

Another useful thing for our library users is API documentation which is now available at https://develdocs.phpmyadmin.net/. It covers all libraries we've recently released (motranslator, sql-parser and shapefile).

Handled issues:

Weekly phpMyAdmin contributions 2016-W36

Last week was a bit calmer on my phpMyAdmin contributions as I've spent more time on other free software projects (namely Gammu).

Anyway there was still some amount of reviewing pull requests and bug screening and I've added PHP 7.1 to the testsuite on Travis while fixing some bugs this has revealed (thanks Deven for helping in this as well). Most notable these were bugs in our testsuite feeding invalid mock data in some situations. Without type warnings in upcoming PHP 7.1 these would be further unnoticed.

Handled issues:

Improved Docker container for Weblate

In last days, the Weblate Docker container got several improvements to make it better fit for production setup. All changes are heavily based on pull request by Fred Cox.

What all does this change bring?

  • It now brings complete environment for Weblate including web server.
  • The preferred database engine is now PostgreSQL.
  • There is also memcached instance for better performance.
  • Much more things can be configured using environment variables (machine translation or social auth).

I think this makes Weblate deployment for you much simpler if you already use Docker. I think this can can be further extended to other services like Kubernetes, so patches are welcome :-).

Weekly phpMyAdmin contributions 2016-W35

Last week had still major focus on our Docker container, which is now better than ever :-). There also was a motranslator release to push some of the bug fixes to users.

Other than that there was usual amount of bug screening and fixing which you can see from list of issues below.

Handled issues:

Enca 1.19

Last version of Enca has been released several months and now it's time for new release. There are various bug fixes which have been committed to the Git repository meanwhile.

If you don't know Enca, it is an Extremely Naive Charset Analyser. It detects character set and encoding of text files and can also convert them to other encodings using either a built-in converter or external libraries and tools like libiconv, librecode, or cstocs.

Full list of changes for 1.19 release:

  • fix possible memory leak
  • make utf-8 detection work even on one character

Still enca is in maintenance mode only and I have no intentions to write new features. However there is no limitation to other contributors, join the project at GitHub :-).

You can download from https://cihar.com/software/enca/.