Michal Čihař - Blog Archives for English

Future of Wammu?

Most of users noticed that there is not much progress in Wammu development. This is mostly caused by problems which wxPython already caused me and drops my motivatio to create something new using it to zero. However I want Wammu to have future, so it looks obvious, that it has to leave wxPython.

For now I'm decided to go either with PyGTK or using some high level framework as Kiwi. The latter gives advantage of better abstraction, but pure PyGTK could attract more developers. I'm not yet decided about this choice and I'm creating proposal for highly modular core, which should allow (somewhat, at least for beginning) idependent plugins to handle different data in phone (and later maybe even different backends).

If you would like to join me in developing wammu-ng (the name will probably change), you're welcome to drop me a mail on michal@cihar.com.

Icons for RSS feeds

I just randomly found Feed Icons website which is trying to standardize icon for feeds. I'm not sure whether having exactly same icon on all sites is really needed, but thanks for the icon guys. Now I use it for related blog entries over rest of this web site.

Gammu popularity

It's nice to see how more and more people install Gammu since it has been included in Debian. Thanks to popcon I can see graph how it's popularity grows to sky :-).

Lets see whether Wammu will follow.

NanoBlogger customisations

When I looked for blog system to use, I have looked to various systems. From big ones like Wordpress to small ones like NanoBlogger. At the end I ended with NanoBlogger, because it looked more suitable for my needs.

However I still needed some customizations to make it work exactly how I want. First was to enable experimental titpe-based links. This makes links look better and people (and search engines) can see from link what is the entry about. Besides uncommenting some parts of code commented with experimental title-based links, there was needed little change to archive generator to make correct links for previous/next entries.

Next think I wantes was RSS feed list for categories on main pages. This is needed as many people will be interested only in some parts of this blog. This part is a bit hacky and I choose simple way to do this by only changing parts in category links.

Last thing is listing which is included on other pages like pma.cihar.com. This part only uses existing code and doesn't really add anything new except two tempates for it.

Now I enjoy NanoBlogger and hopefully it will last some time :-). If you want to use same customization, patch is available here.

phpMyAdmin themes snapshots

Do you want to use recent themes in your phpMyAdmin from snapshot? Now you have a chance! Snapshots are now generated for all active branches and also for themes. You can grab them here.

Downloads over FTP

Donwload server dl.cihar.com is now available also over ftp. If you want to mirror some content, FTP is more suited for such thing. I might ever block your access to HTTP, if your mirrorer will be too aggressive.

Wammu in Debian

Finally it went through long NEW queue and it has been accepted!

Subject: wammu_0.13-1_i386.changes ACCEPTED
From: Debian Installer <installer@ftp-master.debian.org>
To: Michal Čihař <michal@cihar.com>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 08:49:56 -0700

Accepted:
wammu_0.13-1.diff.gz
  to pool/main/w/wammu/wammu_0.13-1.diff.gz
wammu_0.13-1.dsc
  to pool/main/w/wammu/wammu_0.13-1.dsc
wammu_0.13-1_all.deb
  to pool/main/w/wammu/wammu_0.13-1_all.deb
wammu_0.13.orig.tar.gz
  to pool/main/w/wammu/wammu_0.13.orig.tar.gz
Announcing to debian-devel-changes@lists.debian.org
Closing bugs: 326710

Thank you for your contribution to Debian.

Mantis and new MySQL

I just moved Mantis serving bugs.cihar.com to this host and upgraded it also to latest stable version. However it still doesn't deal correctly with recent MySQL. I have no idea why all those PHP application guys ignore charset features in MySQL.

So if you want to use non ASCII chars in Mantis with recent MySQL and you need to modify core/adodb/drivers/adodb-mysql.inc.php and add at the end of _connect and _pconnect funcions code to set connection charset:

mysql_query('SET NAMES \'utf8\'', $this->_connectionID);