I was just shocked by recent order of our minister of culture - fees for empty media will be increased from current minimal ammount (around 0.20 CZK) to 5 CZK (0.2 €) for DVD. Now it will be quite important part of price of empty DVD medium. It's strange for people like me, who use such mediums mostly for backup purposes. Looking for country where such crazy fees do not exist!
I'm looking for somebody with experiences on drawing graphics. Next Wammu will come with some nice features which would require some images. For now I'm sure there will be two new wizards:
- Phone configuration wizard - to ease configuration of phone. Either by embeding current search ability or by guiding user through manual configuration.
- Migration wizard - migrate data between phones. You know this situation - you bring brand new phone and want to migrate your existing data from old one to it as quick as possible. Side effect of this will be also backup/restore wizard only by using backup files instead of source or target phone.
I want them to look good, so a bit of graphic would help. Is there somebody willing to help?
During my sickness last week and half, my mailbox was slowly filling with various messages. Mostly feedback about Gammu, Wammu or phpMyAdmin, but also various other issues. Now I finally managed to get through all of them and I have zero unread mail. Hooray. Well I don't think it will keep on this state long, but it's good to cleanup old issues sometimes :-).
I decided to do finally some work oh phpMyAdmin today. I went through security announcements we (or I directly) received and tried to reproduce and fix them. Now everything seems to be fixed in Subversion and we're going to 188.8.131.52 release today. So if you have time, please test MAINT_2_9_1 branch, to awoid some major breakage :-).
PS: You can also download snapshot.
Gammu stable release release by Marcin. This entry is here just to make automated checkers happy.
Today I tried for first time software for Sony-Ericsson K750i on Windows. The supplied Sony-Ericsson suite offers only sync, when I try to browse files, it says phone is not connected. Okay, usual manufacturer software quality, I didn't expect more :-).
Next I installed floAt's Mobile Agent. I read quite good reports about this software, so I had to see what competition does Wammu have on Windows :-).
After some troubles to configure phone connection, including some Windows restarts, I managed to download some data. I was very suprised that my contact names weren't correctly decoded (in vCard they're properly in UTF-8). Rest of support is on very simmilar level as in my Gammu branch, Wammu is still far behind, especially in GUI design.
After lot of coding, I can say that this phone is fully supported. All basic services should work in my Gammu branch and changes should be soon merged to official branch.
So what works?
- Phonebook with most of entries (no picture, voice commands and ringtones)
- Various information, including detailed filesystem status and battery temperature ;-)
If you're using original Sony-Ericsson cable, try following configuration, and send me gammulog, if anything goes wrong:
[gammu] connection = at port = /dev/ttyACM0 logfile = gammulog logformat = textall
Update: All needed changes had been merged in 1.09.00 release, so you don't have to care about development versions.
Today I hacked complete support for phonebook and calendar, so only big thing which is missing in my branch is todo support and support for some few AT*E commands, which I'd like to add. I expect to finish this tomorrow and push patches to Marcin.
Anyway as code is in quite good share right now, I'd welcome any testers, you can download snapshots and try at least downloading calendar and phonebook.
Yesterday, I finally managed to code something what could be taken as improvement for Sony-Ericsson phone owners. My Gammu branch can now read complete phonebook entries. The implementation is now far from being effective, but works good.
What needs to be improved is way for getting LUIDs, as reading complete phonebook just to get list of all LUIDs is big overhead and causes big slowdown when reading first entry. Parsing IrMC changelog might be a solution, but it would need removing of deleted entries, what is harder to implement. I will try to investigate this possibility later, as this is not required to be handled right now.
OpenUsability project has opened some projects to public. None of projects have been chosen as student work (I understand this, as I didn't put there much formal specification), but instead offered as open projects.
This is both good and bad news: Bad news because there is no sponsoring for the usability consultant, good news because the time frame is not restricted to January-April (they may start immediately ;-), and professionals can apply as well as students.