Michal Čihař - Blog Archives for English

Gammu test version 1.10.1

I just released new version of Gammu, you can download it from download server. There is quite a lot of changes:

  • Fixed encoding of name for Nokia phones.
  • Fixed connecting to PostgreSQL with empty password.
  • Fixed infinite loop in --monitor (bug #75).
  • Fixed behaviour on Bluetooth disconnect.
  • Fixed handling of files with special chars on OBEX.
  • OBEX driver correctly detects models.
  • Native OBEX connections (blueobex and irdaobex) should work also with unknown models.
  • Simplified searching of channels using Bluez stack.
  • RF searching now better detects OBEX channels.
  • Fix format strnings for 64-bit architectures (bug #77).
  • Cleanup documentation structure.
  • Moved locales out of documentation.
  • Fixes locales and documentaion install in CMake (bug #76).
  • Fixed retrieving messages with some phones who index them from zero like CG79 (bug #20).
  • Ignore error when there is too much members in group in phone (bug #3).
  • Compilation fixes for OpenBSD with libutf8 (bug #10).
  • Handle another error while reading 6510 phonebook (bug #49).
  • Fix international number handling in vCard (bug #71).

Gammu bug squashing

Today I decided to go through open Gammu bugs and try to fix some of them. There were trying many trivial bugs, which I'm now fixing, the harder ones will there stay for some other time or other volunteer (feel free to take some!).

There are still some issues remaining, but I will go through rest today and tomorrow and make testing release after that. So far ChangeLog length looks quite impressive :-).

Wammu 0.19 will have tray icon

Thanks to Rene Peters, next Wammu release will come with tray icon support. I was always too lazy to look how it should be implemented and it turns out to be only few lines of code :-).

Anyway if there is something else you miss in Wammu, don't afraid to ask for it, there is always a chance, that somebody will implement it.

Wammu can handle SMS recipient lists

I just added to Wammu support for SMS recipient lists. For now there is no interaction with possible lists in phone, but you can create and save your own lists.

Lists are saved in plain text files, one phone per line. I guess such list will be easy to create from any application.

PS: I hope this feature won't be used for SMS spamming :-).

What do users want?

Now I'm in state when I'm deciding what to put to next Wammu version. This is always hard, because I don't get any feedback from most of users. I sometimes find note in random forum, that user wants dock icon.

Anyway I'd really appreciate some feedback in bug tracking system. Write there features you would like to see or post comments to existing reports, that you want to see this feature.

This will help me to choose which one to implement in upcoming Wammu version. You can see what I've chosen for now in bug #252.

Wammu 0.18

After long development, Wammu 0.18 has been just released. New features:

  • Better setup.py to use more of distutils.
  • .mo locales are generated on build and not included in VCS.
  • Show only existing devices on Windows (this requires pywin32).
  • Now requires wxPython at least 2.6.2.
  • Support for reporting in Gammu Phone Database.
  • Automatically asks user for feedback after month of usage.
  • GUI more follows HIG on target platform (button placement).
  • Add wildcard search possibility.
  • Use gammu configuration for phone connection instead of own.

Yes you read it correctly, here finally comes Wammu with configuration wizard and talkback to phone database! Besides this huge change, this release will make also Windows users happy, because it finally contains current python-gammu and Gammu.

Gammu stable version 1.10.0

I just released new version of Gammu, you can download it from download server. Changes to latest testing version are relatively small:

  • Added include paths to MSVC configuration files.
  • Support for sending file to phone (--sendfile).
  • Russian translation update (Acid Jack).
  • Fixed possible uninitialised value in date decoding (Stanislav Brabec).
  • Fixed reading of contacts from Samsung.
  • Fixed vCard handling for Siemens (bug #72).

Stay tuned, release weekend will continue ;-).

Version control system for Gammu and others

I still more and more think, that I should move out of Bazaar to some more maintained piece of software for version control. The biggest problem I currently see, that I was not able to convert by Bazaar repositories to some other format. I tried to convert to Bazaar-NG by booth BzrTools and Tailor, but none of them succeeded, then I tried conversion to Git, but Tailor failed also on this task.

Maybe I will try Subversion, which is now very widely used software, although it has some annoyances. I originally wanted distributed VCS, because I was often offline at home, but this is not the case anymore, so using centralised VCS on my own server should not be a big problem.